It will soon be Christmas and, before we know it, we will be into 2018. Here are a few orienteering related things to consider for your Christmas list and New Year resolutions:
- Invite a friend or neighbour to our Summer 2018 series (or any of the events the club has planned for the New Year). Membership and Recruitment is a club priority and the Summer Series 2018 will be at the heart of our efforts. Details of the summer events will be available shortly. By 2020 we hope to have 20% more members; ideally 20% more each year! Please do what you can to help.
- Give the gift of a whistle! It is one of the simplest safety devices and most people already carry a whistle at each event. The club will be expecting everyone to do so for virtually all future events; you never know when you might need it!
- Offer to help at one or two forthcoming events. Helpers are the lifeblood of orienteering events. Why not contact the organiser of an event taking place in 2018? You may also wish to offer your services as a Planner, Organiser or Controller to Tom McMurtrie who is shortly taking over as Fixtures Secretary from Steve Perrelle. (Steve is taking on the role of Club Coach.)
- Get your entry in early for the Tamar Triple. The event dates are Saturday May 26th to Monday May 28th. Entries should open on Fabian4 on 1st January for these three events, the first taking place at Exeter University, followed by two events at Braunton Burrows. Each event promises first class orienteering for all.
- Try out the Gruffalo course at Haldon Forest Park, near Exeter. It is not yet open, but following work involving the Forestry Commission and club members including John Pearce, Wilf Taylor and myself, it should be available early in 2018. Go along with children, grandchildren or why not “Gruffalo for Grown Ups”! £1.50 per map; between Yellow and Orange standard, the course will take perhaps 45 minutes to an hour.
- Make sure you have renewed your club membership for 2018 (and if you are a new member thinking of joining you will be very welcome!) Membership is great value and it lasts through to December 2018. The benefits are listed on the club website.
- -and finally, get out for a run at the Christmas Novelty event on Friday 29th December. The Taylor family are putting on this event, it is at Parke, near Bovey Tracey and it is always enjoyable. ‘Hope to see you there.
Have a happy Christmas and all best wishes for 2018,
Click the image for a larger version.