From Sunday 29th August 0900
In the same way as last year we are running a series of map runs on Dartmoor in the summer, each one “opening” on a Sunday morning from about 0900. More details below...
Whether you choose to meet up with others on the Sunday morning or just run it at your leisure at some other time is up to you.
No results but hopefully good training and aimed at experienced Orienteers. The maps and necessary pins are available for download in the week running up to each activity. If you are not that familiar with the maprun technology then details can be downloaded using the link below.
Each week there will be longer and shorter technical courses and what I have called an Orange course… which has occasional harder bits ! You can have a look and see which one suits you. Perfect training for the upcoming season.
Be warned… you will need the paper map. Any attempt to use just the map on the phone will fail miserably as its just a background type. Having said that why would anyone even think of doing it !
Sunday 29th Golden Dagger Map Run
Sunday 5th Sept Houndtor Map Run
The maps for Golden Dagger can be downloaded using the links below:
Golden Dagger Orange Pin 9482 3.3 KM 130 m Climb 1:7500
Golden Dagger Shorter Pin 2212 4.5 KM 150m Climb 1:7500
Golden Dagger Longer Pin 0704 7.2 KM 320m Climb 1:7500
On your phone open Maprun6.. Select event…. uk….Devon….Dartmoor summer series 21 Golden Dagger and your course.
Remember, Golden Dagger is very technical . In sun it’s a brilliant area/ challenge..In bad mist the technical courses would be potentially a challenge too far. They are certainly not for beginners.
Bennetts Cross Car Park is at MR SX680816 What3words munched.mess.interests Please park sensibly in one of the small car parks in the area. Do not park opposite the pub unless you are going in for a meal / drink.
For guidance on Mapruns see: MapRun User Guide V2
Orange Golden Dagger 29.8.21: Orange
Short Golden Dagger 29.8.21 Short
Long Golden Dagger 29.8.21 Long
Long Descriptions Golden Dagger 29.8.21 Technical Long Course Descriptions
General safety guidance for individual Mapruns:
- Individual Mapruns are run at your own risk
- Each runner should make their own assessment of risks in the Maprun area, including terrain and weather and how those risks are best managed, including use of a weather forecast
- Participants should be aware of risks associated with the moorland environment and how to minimise and manage associated risks e.g. ticks, adders
- Be aware of risks associated with traffic, cyclists and pedestrians, and act sensibly
- Under 16’s should be accompanied or appropriately supervised, particularly where there are risks associated with traffic and in remote areas.
- Current social distancing guidance and other measures to limit risks associated with coronavirus should be followed.
- In more remote areas, visit the venue with at least one other "buddy" who knows the area you are in, when you leave for your run and when you are expected back. Alternatively let someone know your plans and alert them when you are back. Carry a whistle in addition to your phone.
- On Dartmoor, if the weather is poor then think twice about going out. This applies, in particular, to the colder, darker times of the year.
Click the image for a larger version.