Club Championships and AGM
Sun 16th Sep 2018
Info updated: 16th Sep
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Woodland
Congratulations to Ben Chesters; winner of the 2018 Club Championships. Ben secured maximum points, visiting all 30 controls and with almost a minute to spare. The handicap system appeared to work well, with a range of ages in the top 10 finishers.
Many thanks to Tom Lillicrap for planning a great course; obviously judged just right! Thanks also to Guy Balmer for very efficient organisation, to Roger Green for leading the SI team, to Nicholas Maxwell for acting as Risk Assessor and to all helpers on the day.
The baton for planning next years championships has now been passed to Ben!
(The photograph shows Martin Yeo on the run-in).
Pre Event Information
The event flyer is available here. If you are able to help on the day, please contact Guy Balmer ().
Nearest town: Yelverton
Directions / Parking
Grid Reference SX 503 691, closest postcode PL20 7LJ
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10.30 am
Starts between 11.00 - 11.30 am
Club AGM follows the event at 1.30 pm
This is a 60 minute score event, open to all. Help is available for newcomers.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors £8, Juniors 9under 21) £3, SI dibber hire £1.
Contacts / Officials
Organisers: Guy Balmer (07702 009782) & Helen Taylor
Planner: Tom Lillicrap
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.