Combestone Tor, Nr Hexworthy
Tue 28th Jun 2016
Info updated: 25th Jun
Type of event: Local-(D), Other
Type of terrain: Moorland
Pre Event Information
Devon Orienteering Club informal evening event from Combestone Tor Nr Hexworthy.
Event flier: Combestone Tuesday 28.6.16
Come along and have a run out in a great area. Aimed at Club runners.
We have 50 places. If planning to attend an email to the organiser would be appreciated
Next Informal event : Haytor July 5th same basis as above
Nearest town: Buckfastleigh
- Grid Ref: SX 670718
- Latitude: 50.53055
- Longitude: -3.87785
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Grid Reference of car park is SX 670718.
Car share if possible as parking is limited and its sociable and eco friendly !! No toilets. Nearest at Venford Res.
Registration & Start Times
Courses open from 5.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
Controls will be collected in at 7.30 p.m.
SI controls and bagged maps 1:10000
In bad weather a cagoule may be needed but sun has been ordered!
Choose from one of 3 courses
Orange : TD3 4.2 KM
Short Tech: TD5(ish) 5.5 km
Long Tech: TD5 ish 9 km
Lengths subject to final checks
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Cost: Seniors £3 Juniors (under 21) £2.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/ Planner and bottlewasher: Steve Perrelle
Safety checker: Tom Lillicrap
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.