Core Copse - Summer Series 4
Sun 12th Aug 2018
Info updated: 12th Aug
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Woodland
Core Copse results
Pre Event Information
This is a Summer Series Event. Newcomers of all ages and abilities will be especially welcome!
There will be an Easy Score course for beginners and improvers plus a Hard Score course for more experienced orienteers.
For details see the flyer: Core Copse 12.8.18 (Updated 8.8.18)
Core Copse is a woodland area with a good network of tracks and paths.
Easy Course: Mostly on tracks and paths through flat and gently sloping woodland.
Hard Course: Mostly through mixed woodland with some steep and rugged slopes. This course includes a road crossing.
Facilities: Portaloo, First Aid & Tea Tent.
Dogs: Dogs must be kept under control at all times.
Nearest town: Ottery St Mary
- Grid Ref: SY129 948
- Latitude: 50.74770
- Longitude: -3.23944
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Location: Grid reference: SY129948 There is no exact postcode for Core Copse but probably the most useful would be EX11 1QB by which point you should have spotted the orienteering signs.
Directions and Parking: Signed off A3052 by the Bowd Inn, immediately right following orienteering signs (orange & white) to White Cross and along East Hill Strips to right turn down track and into field for parking (all signed). Also, if coming from Ottery St Mary, signed from Chineway Head at the top of Chineway Hill.
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 10.00 – 12.00
Starts: 10.30 – 12.30
Courses close: 14.00
Easy Course: A Score Course is where a number of controls (checkpoints) are placed in the terrain and the aim is to find as many as you can within the time limit. Your map, which you are given at the start, will show the location of the controls which you can hunt for in any order you like. Most of the controls on this course will be on tracks and paths. 10 points will be awarded for each control found. 10 points will be deducted for every minute you take over the time limit. The time limit for this course will be 90 mins.
Hard Course: Same rules as for the Easy Course although the controls will be much harder to find! The time limit for this course will also be 90 mins.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry fees: Seniors £8, Juniors £3, Dibber hire £1
(If a family is taking part primarily with one junior, and using one map, then the fee is only £3)
Contacts / Officials
Planner: John Chesters.
Organiser: Matt Atkins. Mob: 07970 213518
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.