Devon Club Championships
Sun 07th Sep 2014
Info updated: 21st Oct
Type of event: Local-(D)
Type of terrain: Woodland
Congratulations to Ellie Stone, W18, Club Champion for 2013-14.
The first set of results below are sorted to include the age and gender handicap applied to this event.
Results without the application of handicap are shown in the second table, together with split times.
Pre Event Information
Devon Championships. This is the annual club competition, based on a handicap system. See attached flyer and notes below for details.
Please note this is event is on Fire Beacon, not Core Copse as advertised in some places.
Lunch, Prizegiving and Devon OC AGM: will take place, following the event, at Fire Beacon Cottage from 1pm.
Nearest town: Sidmouth
- Grid Ref: SY109915
- Latitude: 50.71616
- Longitude: -3.26400
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Car Park: is in a field opposite Fire Beacon Cottage (EX10 0LR). Please follow signs from The Bowd Inn on the junction of the A3052 and Fire Beacon Lane.
Registration & Start Times
Registration: at Fire Beacon Cottage (taped from car park) 9.30am - 10.45am. Toilet and First Aid available nearby.
Start: Punching start any time from 11.00am to 11.15am. The Start is 500m and 35m of climb from Fire Beacon Cottage. Allow 10-15 minutes.
Maps: will be issued at the Start. Map scale is 1:10,000 with 5m contours. The map was updated by John Pearce in July and August 2014. Control Descriptions are on the map and loose copies are also available at Registration.
Finish: 400m from Fire Beacon Cottage and Download. PLEASE ENSURE YOU DOWNLOAD PROMPTLY.
Controls and Scoring: The event is a Score Event. You have 60 minutes to visit as many controls as possible.
Controls: there are 30 controls. Sixteen of these (with numbers between 50 and 69) will each be worth 10 points. A further fourteen (with numbers between 30 and 49) will each be worth 15 points.
Bonus: if you visit and punch all 30 controls and finish within 60 minutes, you will be awarded a bonus of 10 points for every minute (or part minute) early.
Penalty: if you take longer than 60 minutes, then, however many controls you have found, you will be penalised 10 points for every minute (or part minute) late.
Handicap: Devon OC Handicap formula will be applied to the scores, to determine the overall Devon Club Champion.
OOB: Please observe the Out of Bounds area marked on the map; it is for animal grazing and is surrounded with a (live) electric fence. Any other fences encountered will be crossable.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
On day entry only.
Seniors £7.00, Juniors £2.00, Family Groups £7.00 (but the Junior rate will apply if the children are the main participants).
Dibber Hire: £1.00
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: John Pearce
Planner: Carol Pearce
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.