Devon & Cornwall Night League 6: Parke, Bovey Tracey
Sat 29 Feb 2020
Info updated: 02nd Mar
Type of event: Local, Night
Type of terrain: Parkland
Planner's Comments: Thank you to everyone for coming. The evening ended up being clear and cold with only the odd shower. It had been a bit windy earlier so I was glad the event was not cancelled. The nights are drawing out so a later event could not be fitted in this season.
A lot goes in to planning an event so I would like to say thank you to Roger Green for doing the printing and bagging of the maps and to Jim for checking tags and helping put controls out.
Although Parke is not a very technical area it is fine for a night or score event and I hope I managed to give runners a good run around. There were a few route choices on the longer courses so I hope this gave something for people to think about.
It is a shame about the large out of bounds areas but I seemed to get around this for this event.
Hope everybody enjoyed it. Robin Carter
This was the last Night event of the season; the long hot days of summer are on their way! Many thanks to Robin, Jim and all of the helpers for putting on the event. Thanks also to The National Trust for permission to hold the event at Parke.
Pre Event Information
Report from Robin Carter, Planner, below.
Please see flyer for the Parke night event: Here
Terrain: Parkland and woodland
Facilities: First Aid at registration
Dogs: Under control at all times
Nearest town: Parke, Bovey Tracey
Directions / Parking
Location: Parke (National Trust) Bovey Tracey TQ13 9JQ GR 805 785
Directions and parking:
From A38 take A382 to Bovey Tracey and follow brown tourist signs to Parke car park
The A382 may be closed just before Bovey Tracey so please allow enough time to follow diversion or find your own way !
Parking free to NT members £2 3 hours £4 all day
Registration & Start Times
Registration: from 17:30
Courses close: 20:00
Orange 2km 12 controls
Jade 3.5km 15 controls
Green 4.6km 19 controls
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry details: Adults £5 Junior £3
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Robin Carter
Organiser: James Jackson 07983248007
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.