Devon Score Event: CANCELLED DUE TO CORONAVIRUS
River Dart Country Park
Sun 22 Mar 2020
Info updated: 16th Mar
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Pre Event Information
Please note this is event is cancelled due to today's (16.3.20) government announcement. We hope to re-arrange at a suitable time in the future.
Please read the Planner's notes provided in the flyer.
For more info see flyer.
Nearest town: Ashburton
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: TQ13 7NP
- Latitude: 50.51698
- Longitude: -3.78201
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
The ticket booth before the river will not be open.
Follow marshalls’ instructions in the main car park.
Go to the Reception office and buy a parking ticket - £4 for 3 hours.
This is cheaper than normal.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from: 10.30 – 12.30
Starts from: 11.00 – 13.00
Course closure: 14.00
3 Score courses are available, for 3 different time limits and technical difficulty.
In each event, runners must go from the Start to the Finish, via as many mapped controls they can, in the time limit.
Easy - 18 straightforward controls. Time limit 30 minutes.
Medium - 21 medium-difficulty controls. Time limit 45 minutes.
Long - 27 technically hard controls. Time limit 60 minutes.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry fees: £8 Seniors
£3 Juniors under 21 and students
£6 Family groups
£1 Dibber hire
£1 Second runs
Contacts / Officials
Planner Guy Balmer
Controller/RA Tom Lillicrap
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.