Fernworthy: Devon Moorland League Event 4
A lovely spring day in Fernworthy!
Sun 25th Mar 2018
Info updated: 26th Mar
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Woodland
Results: Fernworthy 25.3.18
Reports from a lovely spring day in Fernworthy will be posted soon. In the mean time, this is an opportunity to thank some of today's control collectors -see photograph -as well as the event officials (Eleanor, Matt and Tom) and all those who were able to help at the event. If you have any comments about the event, why not post them on Devon's Facebook page? Half a dozen photographs from the event can be seen below.
Pre Event Information
All are welcome to this Moorland league event, to be held in Fernworthy forest.
Event final details can be downloaded, and can be seen below.
Nearest town: Chagford
- Grid Ref: SX669839
- Latitude: 50.63901
- Longitude: -3.88747
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
If travelling from Chagford, follow brown tourist signs to Fernworthy Forest, then the orienteering signs along the forest road, which is very potholed! Parking is on forest tracks.
Registration & Start Times
Registration 10.00 – 12.00
Starts 10.30 – 12.30
Courses close at 14.30
Full range of courses from White to Brown
COURSE LENGTH CLIMB DIFFICULTY
White 1.3km 40m Easy
Yellow 1.9km 90m Quite Easy
Orange 2.4km 90m Moderate
Light Green 2.9km 140m Quite Difficult
Short Green 2.9km 150m Difficult
Green 3.6km 170m Difficult
Blue 5.6km 60m Difficult
Brown 7.7km 390m Difficult
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
There has been extensive forestry work in recent months that has created a large number of extraction lanes. For clarity these have only been mapped in areas of walk or fight where they aid runnability. In runnable wood or areas of slow run they have been omitted.
A portable toilet will be available at registration. All competitors should carry a whistle. One can be purchased from Registration for £1. Cagoules will be compulsory if the weather is inclement.
Refreshments available - please bring your own cup!
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Eleanor Taylor 01626 859365 (before 8.00 pm please)
Planner: Matt Atkins
Controller: Tom Lillicrap
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.