Fire Beacon (League Event & Schools’ League)
Devon League Event No. 6 & East of Exe Schools' Event
Sun 10 May 2015
Info updated: 21st Oct
Type of event: Local-(D), Schools
Type of terrain: Woodland
Please note that Juniors have been listed by school, in these results, for the East of Exe Schools' league.
Very many thanks to Michael Green for once again allowing the Club the use of his land and outbuildings for car parking and organisation.
If anyone has any photographs from the event they would like to put forward please email to this website. Thankyou.
Comments from Organiser, Planner and Controller to follow.
Pre Event Information
Fire Beacon is a local nature reserve and a beautiful view point for the Sid Valley.
Facilities: A Portaloo will be available in the car parking field. Fire Beacon Cottage is a good picnic location with lovely views on a fine day. We will try and organise tea and cakes at the event.
Safety: All competitors take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety. All are advised to take a whistle especially juniors.
Dogs: Well behaved dogs are welcome. Dogs need to be on a lead in the car park and registration area at Fire Beacon cottage.
Nearest town: Sidmouth
- Grid Ref: SY112915
- Latitude: 50.71477
- Longitude: -3.26504
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Location: Fire Beacon, near Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 0LR.
Map Reference: SY 112 915.
Parking will be at Fire Beacon Cottage in grass fields. Follow signs from the Bowd pub on the A3052.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10.00am to 12.00pm at Fire Beacon Cottage.
Starts from 10:30am to 12:30pm with a queuing start. 200m from registration to the start.
Courses close at 3:30pm. 200m from finish to download. Start and finish within 100m.
Please ensure that you return to the down load after you finish your course.
Map: 1:10,000 scale on waterproof paper.
The terrain is mixed woodland and heathland with a good track and path network.
Courses: White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Green, Blue and Brown. String course also provided.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry fees: Juniors £2.00, Seniors £8.00, Family group £7.00. £1 for additional maps.
SI electronic punching. Hire £1.00, lost cards £30.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Barbara Keenan
Phone: 01395 514806
Planner: Alan Knight
Controller: Robin Carter
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.