Knightshayes: Devon League Event 7
Knightshayes (National Trust)
Sun 30th Apr 2017
Info updated: 01st May
Type of event: Local-(D)
Type of terrain: Parkland
I hope everyone enjoyed their orienteering today despite the inclement weather! For people new to orienteering, Knightshayes is a good area to start as you can't get too lost! It was nice to see some new faces today, hopefully we will see you at our next event as well.
The longer courses today were quite hard to plan as the area isn't quite big enough for the recommended distances and the terrain is also not the most challenging technically. My idea was to give you lots of controls in quick succession with regular changes of direction which hopefully provided at least some test for your navigational skills! Thanks to Tim for organising and Steve controlling. Thanks also to John, Ruth & Ben for helping to collect controls, and also to everyone else who helped out today.
A bit of a wet day but what a great location at Knightshayes National Trust property. We must have had about 80 people run today so well done for getting out to try Matt Atkins courses.
Steve Perrelle did a good job in controlling this event and so did all the many helpers to make it all such a success. I hope you all had a good day of it and to see so many young families giving it a go will be good for the future of our club. Indeed, it would be nice to see a few new people joining. On to the next event: 4th June Woodbury Common. See you there!
Pre Event Information
This is the 7th Devon League event of 2016 -17. All ages, all abilities, all welcome. Please note revised date for this event.
Further details: Knightshayes flyer 30.4.17
First Aid at Registration. Toilets in National Trust café nearby. Please could National Trust members scan their membership cards at Reception.
In bad weather a cagoule and whistle may be required. Dogs must be under control at all times and on leads on or near driveway and when near livestock.
Nearest town: Tiverton
- Grid Ref: SS 960151
- Postcode: EX16 7RQ
- Latitude: 50.92614
- Longitude: -3.48142
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Location: Bolham, Tiverton. Postcode EX16 7RQ
From Bolham follow brown tourist info signs to Knightshayes.
Parking charges for all except NT members £1 per hour or £4 all day.
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 10.00am until 12.00pm
Starts: 10.30am until 12.30pm
Courses close: 2.30pm
White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Green, Blue and Brown courses.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry details: Seniors £8 Families £7 Juniors £3
SI hire: £1
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Matt Atkins
Organiser: Tim Gent 07735541751
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.