Mutter’s Moor: Devon League Event 3
Sun 04th Dec 2016
Info updated: 08th Dec
Type of event: Local-(D)
Type of terrain: Forest
Results: Results 4.12.16 Mutters Moor
Route Gadget: Routegadget Mutter's Moor
Splitsbrowser: Splitsbrowser Mutter's Moor
This was the first event I have planned and although I know Mutters Moor well, I found it quite challenging.
The eastern slopes are thick with brambles, so I avoided this area completely. Much of the heath is gorse. The western area has been thinned this summer so had changed from the previous map. I tried to site controls in the better areas so this resulted in the courses being squeezed through some narrow corridors. I also used short legs to try and avoid too many track runs. I hope it was not too congested out there and that you managed to avoid the worst of the prickly stuff.
- John Pearce for his work updating the map and putting the courses onto OCAD
- Peter Grierson for organising the event
- Robin Carter for controlling me
- All those who collected controls, there were none for me to get!
I hope you enjoyed running as much as I did planning. James Jackson
Great event today - particular thanks to James, Robin and Peter for their leading roles and to all of the helpers.
And see attached a few photographs of the event.
Pre Event Information
This is the third Devon League event of the season.
For details see the flyer here: Mutters Moor Flyer 4.12.16
All ages, all abilities, all welcome!
In the event of bad weather, a whistle and cagoule will be required.
Dogs must be under control at all times.
Nearest town: Sidmouth
- Grid Ref: SY108874
- Latitude: 50.67865
- Longitude: -3.26434
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Directions: Go along Pinn Lane, Sidmouth to car park.
Venue: Peak Hill Car Park, Nr Sidmouth
Grid Ref: SY 108873
Postcode: EX10 ONN
Parking: Peak Hill Car Park
Nearest toilets at Connaught Gardens Sidmouth,300m from Peak Hill Car Park
Registration & Start Times
Registration from: 10.00
Starts from: 10.30 - 12.30
Course Closure: 2.30
7 courses: Brown, Blue, Green, Light Green, Orange, Yellow and White.
Suitable for all ages and abilities.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Cost: Seniors £8, Juniors (under 21) £3
Punch type: SI Hire fee: £1.00
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Peter Grierson
phone: 01404 814593
Planner: James Jackson
Controller: Robin Carter
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.