River Dart Country Park, Ashburton
Sat 1 Mar 2014
Info updated: 21st Oct
Type of event: Local-(D), Night
Type of terrain: Parkland
6.3.14 Updated, following the inclusion of Alan Simpson's result.
Pre Event Information
Torches, whistles compulsory. Wet weather gear depending on weather .
Experienced orienteers only.
Nearest town: Ashburton
- Grid Ref: SX735698
- Postcode: TQ137TS
- Latitude: 50.51522
- Longitude: -3.78751
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Park in River Dart Country Park car park
National Trust requested £3 parking charge for 3 hours (normally 2 hours)
Registration & Start Times
Green , Jade , Orange
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
£1 dibber hire
Contacts / Officials
Organiser / Planner Steve Edmonds
Reviewer Bryan Smith
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.