South West League (Galoppen) Event
Holne Moor, Hexworthy
Sun 13th Oct 2013
Info updated: 21st Oct
Type of event: District-(C)
Type of terrain: Moorland
Pre Event Information
Photographs below, including winning competitors on the Brown and Blue Courses, completing their courses in excellent times. Well done to Ben and Rob- and to all winners and competitors.
Please see a flier for the event: Holne Moor flier
For details of all of the SWOA Galoppen (League) Events see: http://www.sworienteeringassociation.co.uk/league.php
Dogs: On leads - sheep on area.
Nearest town: Holne Moor, Holne
- Grid Ref: SX 694702
- Postcode: TQ13 7SS
- Latitude: 50.51646
- Longitude: -3.84335
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
There is a parking charge of £1 per vehicle.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be open from 10:00 – 12:30.
Start times: 10:30 – 13:00
Courses close: 15:00
There will be 7 courses available, from Yellow – an easy course of about 2km - to Orange, Light Green, Short Green, Green, Blue to Brown – a technical course of about 8km.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
All entries are on the day.
Cost: £6.00 per adult, £1.50 per Junior (under 21).
The event will use SI – electronic punching. SI dibbers can be hired for £1.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Eleanor Taylor
01626 859365 (before 20.30)
Planner: Bryan Smith
Controller: Peter Morton (KERNO)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.