The Dartmoor Double
Day 1 (Score Event)
Sat 04th Oct 2014
Info updated: 07th Oct
Type of event: Local-(D)
Type of terrain: Moorland
Day 1 (Score Event) and Day 2 (Long O)
Route Gadget for Day 2:
Pre Event Information
The Devon and Quantock Clubs have combined to provide two days of varied orienteering. Each day will use traditional Dartmoor terrain from a base in Princetown.
Day 1 - Saturday – South area: A technical score event mainly on the open moor but with some mixed woodland.
The event is ideal training for the OMM and similar mountain marathons. Participants may run as a pair. Different course lengths can be combined over the two days. Small prizes are awarded for short, medium and long winners of the challenge. The event is unsuitable for novices and unaccompanied juniors are restricted to the short courses. For individuals wishing to stay in the area camping and other accommodation is available in Princetown. Dogs allowed.
Nearest town: Princetown
- Grid Ref: SX591735
- Latitude: 50.54476
- Longitude: -3.99214
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Princetown school car park
Registration & Start Times
Map 1:10.000. Choose from 2 (short), 3 (medium) or 4 (long) hours.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entries are via Fabian4: http://www.fabian4.co.uk/
Closing date 28th September 2014
Entry Fees for the “Double Challenge” (combines both days):
£21 (£18 with BO discount) on medium and long courses
£19 (£16 with BO discount) on short courses
Single Day Entry Fees:
Day 1: £9 (£7 with BO discount)
Day 2: £15 (£13 with BO discount) on medium and long courses
£12 (£10 with BO discount) on the short course
EPS type SI – dibber hire is available -£1 (covers both days)
Late entries an additional £2 per event day
Entry includes the traditional home-made soup, bread, cake and hot drinks.
Contacts / Officials
Enquiries: Rosie Wych 01823 451942
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.