Wheathill Plantation: Devon League Event 5
Sun 10 Apr 2016
Info updated: 13th Apr
Type of event: Local-(D)
Type of terrain: Woodland
Results: Wheathill 10.4.16
Splitsbrowser: Wheathill 10.4.16 Splitsbrowser
Route Gadget: Wheathill 10.4.16 Route Gadget
Planner's Report: As my first Devon league event plan it all started at Christmas with looking for control sites. Then came trying to make OCAD do what I wanted it to. Finally courses started to take shape. The end result was Sunday's event at Wheathill which a good number of members had a go. People seemed to enjoy the event which makes it all worthwhile. It was a good experience for me and I hope orienteers will take the lead from me and give planning a go themselves. Volunteers are always in need and you just have to give me, your fixtures secretary an email and I can let you know when and where someone is next needed . On to the next event at the Tamar Triple. Tim Gent.
Pre Event Information
This is the 4th of Devon's League events for the 2015 -16 season.
This area is part of the East Devon Pebble Beds and consists of open heathland and mostly coniferous woodland. The network of many tracks and paths make it suitable for beginners.
Please see attached flier for this event:
(Note the change of date from that which was first published.)
A toilet will be provided in the car park.
There is also a public toilet in Flower Street, Woodbury village.
Dogs must be under control at all times.
Nearest town: Yettington
- Grid Ref: SY 040 847
- Postcode: EX8 5EE
- Latitude: 50.65406
- Longitude: -3.35898
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
See the attached flier for a map showing directions to the event.
Grid Reference: SY040 847
Post Code: EX8 5EE (nearest dwelling)
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 10.00 -12.00
Starts: 10.30 -12.30
Courses Close: 14.30
Colour coded courses: White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Green, Blue, Brown (1.5km -8.5km)
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors: £8.00 Juniors: £2.00
2nd runs: £1.00
Punch type: SI Hire fee: £1.00
Contacts / Officials
Organiser:: Roger Green
Phone: 01392 278512
Planner: Tim Gent
Controller: Alan Simpson
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.