Wheathill Plantation, Woodbury Common
Devon League Event 7
Sun 08th Jun 2014
Info updated: 17th Jun
Type of event: District-(C)
Type of terrain:
Another well attended, enjoyable DEVON event, making the most of the good weather!
Route Gadget now available
Please note the SI team are seeking to amend the blue/brown competitor splits to look meaningfully at #82 and the following one, following problems with this control.
The winter storm damage at Haldon forced us to re-locate this event to Wheathill plantation and the surrounding commons at relatively short notice. Recent changes to the vegetation and new fences and paths in this well used area created some planning difficulties. The roads crossing the map limit the options, and it is hard to consistently achieve the technical difficulty for the longer courses, although the bracken and gorse help to reduce runnability and visibility on what look like open areas. Judging by the winning times the courses were mostly about the right length, although the blue was perhaps a little long. Orange times were about right, although I would have liked to have extended the course further, but the roads prevented that option.
I hope you enjoyed your run on what turned out to be a lovely day, with the rain only coming in later on as we were collecting controls. Certainly those returning from the longer courses looked like they had enjoyed the fight with the undergrowth and the boggy bits! It was great to see so many families with youngsters enjoying themselves, and asking to go round again on a longer course.
Thanks to everyone who helped to make the day a success, particularly Mike Wimpenny (Controller), Ella Bowles (Organiser), Andy Reynolds (SI) and Roger Green for considerable assistance with preparation of the maps.
Pre Event Information
This is the 7th -and final -Devon League event of the 2013/14 season. It is also a British Orienteering ranking event. Everyone welcome!
Nearest town: East Budleigh
- Grid Ref: SY 041846
- Latitude: 50.65487
- Longitude: -3.35871
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
Parking information: Will be charged based on Forestry Commission pay and display rates
Registration & Start Times
Registration 10am until 12pm
Starts 10.30am until 12.30pm
Courses close 2.30pm
Colour coded courses:Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Green, Blue, Brown
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Punch type: SI
Hire fee: £1.00
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Ella Bowles
Planner: Rob Parkinson
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.