Woodbury Common: Devon League Event 8
Bicton & East Budleigh Commons
Sun 4 Jun 2017
Info updated: 05th Jun
Type of event: Local-(D)
Type of terrain: Moorland, Woodland
Pre Event Information
This is the 8th Devon League event of 2016 -17.
Please see the event flyer here: Woodbury Common 04.06.17 Flyer
All ages, all abilities, all welcome.
The area is part of the East Devon Pebble Beds and consists of open heathland and mostly coniferous woodland. The network of many tracks and paths make it suitable for beginners. Help will be available to newcomers. A toilet will be provided in the car park and public toilets are available in Flower Street, Woodbury Village.
Refreshments will be available after your run - please bring your own mug so we don't need to use so many disposable cups.
Dogs must be under control at all times. In bad weather a cagoule and whistle may be required.
Nearest town: Woodbury
- Grid Ref: SY 040 847
- Postcode: EX8 5EE
- Latitude: 50.65566
- Longitude: -3.35837
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Directions / Parking
See the attached flyer for detailed directions.
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 10.00 -12.30
Starts: 10.30 -13.00
Courses close: 14.30
Seven courses are available: White to Brown (1.5km to 8.5km).
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Juniors (Under 21): £2.00
Sportident Dibber Hire: £1.00
2nd runs: £1.00
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Roger Green 01392 278512
Planner: Tom McMurtrie
Controller: Jill Green
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event. If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns to our national governing organisation, British Orienteering, please email .
Photography: Devon OC has an agreed policy on the taking of photographs at events, based on national guidance. This provides a sensible balance between the benefits and risks associated with the taking and use of images. If you are unsure about acceptable practice, please speak to the event organiser.
Read our photography policy.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.