Sunday 23rd August 9.00am onwards
Our next run out is aimed at experienced Orienteers in one of our better areas on the Moor. It is not suitable for novices due to the exposed nature of the area. The closest thing to Real Orienteering at the moment!
There will be four technical courses as detailed below and on this link Holne Moor Maprun
Steve P. will be there from 9.00 a.m. through to 1.00 p.m. so you can spread out your arrival to suit or even bring up a packed lunch!
We are using the Car Park on the Holne side of Venford reservoir TQ13 7SS MR SX689708 .
I can bring along printed maps for anyone who is unable to print off their own from the above links. If you haven't tried MapRun before we can also give you a few tips to get you started and more details about the system are on the website.
Please email us: if you would like to come along.
There is no phone signal etc at the car park so it is essential that you download your course onto your phone using the Maprun F app before you arrive. If you don’t its over half a mile to the nearest place with a 3G signal. NB. When the courses were being tested they would not open on the old map run app so could I suggest you load up the newer Map Run F version as detailed on the website. Do not think about running the course without a paper map… you will not be successful!
Light Green 3.3 Km 10 controls 100 M Climb pin 6918
Green 4.3 km 12 Controls 140 M Climb pin 4663
Blue 5.4 Km 13 controls 180 M Climb pin 5059
Brown 8.5 KM 18 Controls 270M Climb pin 3211
N.B. This is not a formal BOF registered activity but under government guidelines we are allowed to meet up and participate in small groups as long as social distancing rules are adhered to.
As with all our MapRun courses you are free to run these courses whenever you like, as many times as you like. MapRun produces a set of results so you are able to compare your time and route with others.
Happy Map Running and hopefully we will see many of you on Sunday!
General safety guidance for all individual Mapruns:
- Individual Mapruns are run at your own risk
- Each runner should make their own assessment of risks in the Maprun area, including terrain and weather, and how those risks are best managed
- Be aware of risks associated with traffic, cyclists and pedestrians, and act sensibly
- Under 16’s should be accompanied or appropriately supervised, particularly where there are risks associated with traffic. (NB. The above Holne Moor courses are not suitable for novices.)
- Current social distancing guidance and other measures to limit risks associated with coronavirus should be followed.
- In more remote areas, consider the need to let someone know where you are going and alerting them when you are back.
MapRun User Guide V2 (but see Steve's note above about Maprun F)
Click the image for a larger version.