Annual General Meeting 2023 Minutes27th October 2023
21 members attended the AGM at Adrian and Helen's house in Exmouth.
A link to the Minutes here, and a summary of key points below:
Chairman’s Report (summary):
- Thanks to all Committee members and those with non-committee roles.
- Summarised achievements and areas for improvement.
- Highlighted that the Club would not exist without volunteers, both behind the scenes and at events. Encouraging that two new volunteers have come forward to take on the roles of Treasurer (Robert Forster) and POC Coordinator (Phil Headford). Thanks expressed to Nicholas Maxwell and Bryan Smith for their hard work as they step down from these roles. Matt Atkins is thanked for taking on the role of Development lead, having recently stepped down from producing the Club newsletter, which has now been taken on by Beth Woodley. The Club is still keen to identify any willing volunteers for the following roles: Publicity; Volunteer & Training coordinator; Timing and download team members.
- Events: A full programme of winter league events are in place for 2023-24. Devon have also taken ownership of the prestigious 2-day Caddihoe event, with planning fully underway for Braunton Burrows in Sep 24. All these events need volunteers, so anyone willing to donate a couple of hours would be warmly welcomed.
- Future: It is hoped Devon can encourage new novices into becoming regular participants, increase numbers of volunteers from membership, support the training of officials (organisers, planners and controllers), re-build the junior development and promote the sport within Devon.
- Remembered Arthur Boyt, Erik Peckett and Mike Steward who all sadly passed away this year; all will be fondly remembered for their achievements and contribution to Devon OC and wider orienteering community.
- Devon League 2022/23 certificates awarded: Thanksto Jemma Davie for compiling the league results and producing the certificates. The certificates were presented to those who attended the AGM. The remainder will be distributed at forthcoming events.
- Chairperson’s Awards: See separate news item.
Membership Secretary Report (summary):
- Numbers: Whilst still not at 2019 pre-COVID levels (total members 208), membership numbers have increased by 19 from last year (total members 164). Despite a a big effort to attract new members, it would seem most of the 19 ‘new’ members are either previous members returning to the sport or people moving to Devon and changing clubs. Junior numbers are declining.
- Fees: Remaining the same as last year. BOF: Senior £15, Junior £5. Devon: Senior £1, Junior £0. BOF have also introduced two additional categories of membership: Young Adult (ages 21-25) with a fee of £10 and Family category (2 seniors + 1or more juniors) with a fee of £35.
- Welcome email: Upon notification from BOF of new members, an email is sent to each new member asking if they wish to receive the newsletter, and asking a few questions to identify previous orienteering experience, or volunteer experience, such as organising or planning events.
Treasurer’s Report (summary):
- The annual accounts have been independently examined by Mark Lockett, who is satisfied the statement of receipts, payments and balance of funds are consistent with the underlying accounting records and explanations given.
- The bank balance has decreased by £4336. Whilst our income has increased from last year (2023: £10,109 v 2022: £7,792), we have also had increased expenditure. The deficit counteracts the significant surplus (of £5,371) in previous year.
- Main income this year was from 15 normal events plus Caddihoe 2022.
- Higher expenditure due to mapping (with many areas having not been updated since pre-COVID or areas suffering from large storm damage); a new website; upgrading SI equipment; new club kit and various grants for members selected to represent England.
- Future: In light of the introduction by BOF of the extra levy payable on non-members to events, the future committee will need to consider event fees for 2024.
- Nicholas was thanked for his hard work throughout his tenure as Treasurer over the last 4 years.
Membership fees and levies for 2023:
- Proposal: Currently annual membership fees for Devon Orienteering Club are £1 for seniors and £0 for juniors. Agreed to keep membership fees for Devon Orienteering Club the same for the forthcoming year.
Election of Officers and Committee members:
- Treasurer: Robert Forster was approved to replace Nicholas Maxwell.
- POC Coordinator: Phil Headford was approved to replace Bryan Smith. Bryan thanked John Pearce for his significant input over the years with the mapping the POC’s, as well as ensuring courses are correct and available to access.
- Development Lead: Matt Atkins volunteered to step into this role.
- Still vacant posts open for any volunteers including Junior Rep, OROX and Publicity Lead. If any Club member wishes to volunteer for any of these roles, please do speak to any committee member.
- John Pearce wished to record a vote of thanks for all those who take on committee roles.
Amendments to the Constitution agreed:
- Management: Para 3.B.(ii) Seven Elected Members.
- Membership and Subscriptions: Para 5.B.(i) INDIVIDUAL: Senior – an individual who is 21 years old or over or other such age as determined by British Orienteering who has paid the appropriate fee through the Club (including the new BOF category of young adults aged 21-25 years).
- Membership and Subscriptions: Para 5.B.(ii) GROUP: A group (eg. School, Youth Club, Family).
- The Constitution with proposed amendments had been emailed to all committee members prior to the AGM.