Outdoor exercise and recreation during lockdown!
If you have not recently tried any of the permanent orienteering courses near you, or have yet to give Maprun a go, then lockdown v2.0 may be a great time to do so! And they are all free!
For Permanent Courses see: https://www.devonorienteering.co.uk/poc
For Mapruns see: https://www.devonorienteering.co.uk/maprun-maps-to-download
Please follow government guidance with regard to exercise and recreation. See below for more detail.
British Orienteering has summarised the position in England. Orienteering activities that can continue within the new government guidance for England are as follows:
- Unsupported training activities on your own, with people you live with, within your support bubble, or with one person from another household if social distancing is maintained. These include the use of training maps created by individuals or clubs.
- The use of Permanent Orienteering Courses, Virtual Orienteering Courses and activities such as MapRun events.
- One-to-one outdoor orienteering coaching.
- Local planning for future events.
The government guidance is that you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. Outdoor exercise should be done locally wherever possible, but you can and should travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space).
British Orienteering has a campaign currently running:
- Get Active this Autumn www.britishorienteering This is a competition entered by sharing photos by the end of November. For example share photos of doing a POC or a VOC.